Foreign Residents can receive 100,000 Yen - what you need to know ? How to apply ?

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Japanese government is giving 100,000 yen to each person living in Japan. You can receive the money if your name is on the Basic Resident Register as on April 27, 2020. Foreign residents can receive this money too.
How to apply?


The municipality where you are registered will send an application form to the head of every registered household. The head of household has to fill out their name, date of birth, address, and bank account number, and send the application back with copies of their ID and bank account information. The amount is then transferred to the listed account. If the head of household cannot apply due to poor health or other reasons, someone else can fill out the form.

This application form (sample) will be mailed from the municipality.


If you have a My Number card, you can apply online at the mynumber portal website click here

Please note you will need my number card and not the my number notification card.

Sample my number card (This card should be used) - For login and authentication to portal the IC card needs to be scanned
My number portal login procedure (Japanese)
Sample my number notification card
Your town or city hall will send an application form to the address on your residence certificate around first week of May. On the application form, you need to write:
  • The name of your head of household
  • The date you were born
  • Where you live (address)
  • The bank account you want the money paid into
Are there any documents other than the application form that should be prepared?
Mailing method
  1. Identification documents - any of copy of residence card, my number card, driver's license, etc.
  2. Transfer account confirmation documents - Bank name, account number, copy of passbook or cash card that identifies the account holder
Remittance account verification documents - Govt accept people who have a My Number Card and verify their identities by using their electronic signatures.
How long will the application be accepted?
The deadline is 3 months from the date the mail application method is started in each municipality.
How do I receive the benefits?
As a general rule, it will be transferred to the bank account in the name of the person.
Can I apply in person?
Basically, no. The government doesn’t want everyone crowding the city offices and spreading COVID-19, so the two preferred ways to apply are by post or via the online portal.
More information

Information about the handout and the Basic Resident Register is available on the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications website. Telephone consultation is also available.

  • On the handouts:
    Click here

    -Weekdays: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
    (except for national holidays)
  • About Basic Resident Register:
    Click here

    -0570-066-630 (call forwarding)
    -03-6436-3605 (when calling from IP phones or PHS)
    -Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Tagalog, and Nepali
    -From April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021.
    -Weekdays: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (except for national holidays and from December 29th through January 3rd).
Comments are closed